The Launceston Golf Club is one of the oldest golf clubs in Australia, having been established in 1899.
At first it was known as the Mowbray Golf Club as its links were within the Mowbray Race Course.
In 1900 the name was changed to the Tasmanian Golf Club, and the present site was purchased later that year, with the new course being opened on 13th April, 1901.
In March, 1908 the Club adopted its present name.
The LGC is Tasmania’s oldest 18 hole golf course, and was the only one in the State until 1921.
During its existence the Club has produced many outstanding players including Len Cuff, Laurie Thyne, Lucy Harrison (nee Arthur), Tom Archer, Peter Brown, Ruth Dowling, Don Cameron, Trevor Cameron, Tammy Hall and David Allanby.
Members who have won the Tasmania Amateur Championship include Peter Brown (1933,35,57), Tammy Hall (1992,94,97,98,2010,2012), Paul Marshall (1997) and Gene Saunders (2003).
The LGC has reciprocal arrangements with many golf clubs including the Seremban International Golf Club in Malaysia and the Nose Country Club in Ikeda (Launceston’s Sister City in Japan).
The Club has hosted the Tasmanian Open Championship on numerous occasions, as well as the Australian Junior Championships in 1988.